They are surprisingly easy to make considering that these are from scratch although you can just use a yellow cake mix and add chocolate chips if you would like. However, I think for holidays these add a special touch. I got this recipe from the book, Circle Round by Starhawk, Diane Baker, and Anne Hill. If you are a pagan family I highly recommend this book it shows many different ways to celebrate pagan holidays with your family. There are great activities for all ages of children and it gives you lots of different options. We have had fun going through this book this year with Xavier as it was his first year really celebrating all the holidays.
Summer Solstice Cupcakes
- "Summer solstice with its day that never seems to end, holds the seeds of darkness. We discover darkness in the bits of chocolate concealed inside these sunny cupcakes."
- Makes 20 to 24 cupcakes
- 1/2 cup of butter (one stick), softened in the summer sun
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups of flour, sifted first and then measured
- pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 cup of chocolate chips
Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Beat in the eggs one at a time. Add vanilla.
Mix together the flour, salt, and baking powder. Add half of the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and stir in.
Follow with 1/2 cup milk, then the other half of the flour mixture and the rest of the milk.
Stir in the chocolate chips.
Use paper liners or grease and flour cupcake tins.
Bake for 25 minutes in a preheated 375 degree oven.