I am not a big fan of meat loaf. In fact I cannot remember ever eating a meat loaf that I like. However, I found this recipe in my baby gourmet book called, Easy Gourmet Baby Food by Chef Jordan Wagman and Jill Hillhouse and it is the best meat loaf I have ever had. It was a big hit with Xavier and Nick and it is definitely a keeper in my family! I have been using this book a lot to make things that we as a family can eat together. This meatloaf has a lot of flavor and it is really easy for toddlers to eat. I hope you enjoy it!
Notes about this recipe:
- Please note that the recipe calls for a red bell pepper. In the pictures you will see I used a green bell pepper as I forgot to get the red. If possible the red bell pepper adds a sweeter flavor. However, if you only have a green bell pepper that works as well.
- 1/2 cup diced whole wheat bread
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp. unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup of finely diced red bell pepper
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1/4 cup finely diced Brie cheese (rind on)
- 1 tbsp chopped basil leaves
In a large bowl combine bread and milk; set aside until all the milk has soaked into the bread, 5 to 7 minutes.
In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms and sweet peppers and saute until all liquid from mushrooms has evaporated, about 7 minutes. Transfer to the bowl with bread and let cool to room temperature.
Add turkey, Brie and basil to vegetable mixture and mix until combined. Pack into the loaf pan, ensuring there are no air pockets.
Bake in preheated oven at 300 degrees in a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan until the thermometer inserted into center registers 165 degrees, about 45 minutes. Cut up to desired size.