Lentils are a great thing to add into your diet. They are a good source of fiber, protein and folic acid. You can enjoy lentils as a side dish or in soups and casseroles. This is a great, cheap and easy to make casserole that you will love. Xavier even ate some (minus the cheese) and he loved it! Definitely my favorite way to cook, put all ingredients in a pan and pop in the oven. Little mess and easy to make. Try it out.
Brown Rice and Lentil Casserole
Recipe courtesy of www.recipezzar.com
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup green or brown lentils
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese grated
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Mix all the ingredients, except the cheese, in an 11 x 7" baking dish.
Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Remove the foil and sprinkle the cheese on the top.
Bake uncovered for another 20 minutes. Serve hot