I am always on the lookout for easy to make breakfast foods. I saw this recipe on pinterest and decided I would try it out. It came out great, however, next time I will do a few more changes to it.
CHANGES TO MAKE NEXT TIME
- no chocolate chips, this was very sweet especially for breakfast. We decided next time it would be better with an additional fruit such as peaches, pears or apples.
- It was not too bad being extra sweet if you ate it for dessert with perhaps ice cream, it reminded us of a sort of cobbler with chocolate
This does store and reheat really well and it makes a lot. This is the recipe with the chocolate chips you can decide for yourself if you decide to leave them in or not.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/3 cup of brown sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 1 cup of raspberries ( or any berries )
- 1/2 cup of milk chocolate chips
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 large egg
- 3 Tbsps melted butter
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 ripe banana, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch thick slices
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 10 1/2 x 7" dish with cooking spray and place on a baking sheet. Mix oats sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and half the walnuts, half the berries and half the chocolate. ( you will use the other half for top of the oatmeal).
In another bowl whisk together milk, egg, butter and vanilla extract.
Add oat mixture to baking dish. Arrange remaining berries, walnuts and chocolate on top. Add banana slices to the top as well. Pour milk mixture over everything. Gently shake baking dish to help the milk mixture go throughout the oats.
Bake for 35-40 minutes until the top is golden brown. Serve hot. It is also good to store this in the refrigerator and reheat for the next morning either in oven or microwave.